The UK is an adventure playground. Fact. Being an island, we’re spoilt for choice from coastlines to rivers, mountains and hills. So here are some UK adventure ideas for your adventure inspiration list, including everything from a weekend running dressed as a Roman soldier, to taking the little ones out for a hill climb.
HIKING IDEAS FROM ORDNANCE SURVEY
UK adventure ideas:
5 family-friendly hikes
- Glencoe Highlands, Scotland
- Rhossili Headland, Wales
- Fountains Abbey, North England
- Coombe Country Park, Midlands
- Killerton Garden, South-West England (Spring is the best time for this one!)
5 scenic coastal walks
- Fife Coastal Path, one of Scotland’s great trails
- Rhossili, pure bliss when the sun is out
- Durham Coastal Path, filled with a rich heritage
- Blakeney Point, perfect for wildlife lovers
- Lizard Point, most southerly point of mainland Britain
5 lung-busting hills to walk up
- Ben Macdui, an alternative to Ben Nevis and Britain’s 2nd highest peak
- Pen Y Fan, part of the famous Brecon Beacons
- The Cheviot, hills straddling the border between Scotland and England
- Helvellyn, England’s 3rd highest peak
- The Malverns, a bit of something for everyone and great for families
Hopefully that gets your off to a rockin’ start, but if, like Olivert Twist you would like some MORE – here’s a list of 100 walking ideas across the UK.
You can of course turn any of the walking ideas up there on this here page into runs, but if you fancy taking your runs to a next level – we’re a huge fan of fancy dress. Why? Because running is more fun in fancy dress, that’s just basic science. Here’s some inspiration for your ‘fancy a run?’ series of adventures.
5 costume-themed runs
- Hadrian’s Wall, dressed as a Roman soldier
- Jurassic Coast, dressed as a dinosaur
- The Boudica Way, Dressed as the Warrior Queen herself
- The Giant’s Causeway Path, dressed as a Giant (we weren’t dressed up on this one but highly recommend adding that layer to it!)
- Offa’s Dyke Path, dressed as a daffodil
Any more suggestions for fancy dress runs? Have you done one yourself? Drop us a line and we’ll add them here.
OUR GO-TO UK CYCLING ADVENTURES
With cycle routes marked up and down the UK, getting out on your bike for a day or heading off for a few days, couldn’t be easier! Just follow the magical two-wheeled signs…
5 road bike rides
- Way of the Roses, North England
- Fred Whitton route, Lake District
- West Country Way, South-West England
- Cotswolds Line, South England
- North Coast 500, Scotland (more info here)
Sustrans is a great resource for UK cycling trips, from family-friendly days out to longer, challenging rides. With cycle-free and different types of terrain marked.
5 off-road (bike-packing) rides (caveat: not hard core mountain biking!)
- Gower Peninsula Loop, Wales
- The Cairngorms Loop, Scotland
- Trans-Cambrian Way, Wales
- Exmoor, South-West England
- Studland Sortie, South England
If the above has tickled your fancy, and you want more, we recommend getting your mits on this book! Filled with a bunch of routes all over the country for the beginner to the more experienced, with your logistics and pitstops all sorted.