“Suffice it to say, adventure has changed my life. That first big leap of faith started a chain reaction which ejected me from the mundane rut down which I was travelling, and catapulted me across bumpy, uneven plains anew. And ever since I returned home from that first big adventure, it’s been a dream of mine to give someone else the option to derail their own life too…” (Anna McNuff)
Autumn is in the air and that can only mean one thing…it’s time to announce this year’s Adventure Queen Grant! For the last two years, one of our fave times in the AQ calendar has been launching our grant – our way of helping someone take on a big human powered, boundary pushing adventure. In 2018, we helped self named “Adventure Queen Mother” Sue Barrett take on the trails of the Alps on a mother-daughter expedition, and this year we sent the delightful Vanessa Richards off into the wilds of Scandinavia to hike some of Europe’s most remote trails.
THE ADVENTURE QUEEN GRANT 2019 – SUPPORTED BY MERRELL
We are over the moon to announce a new partnership with the fine folks at Merrell, who are joining us on our mission to help get more women into the outdoors. For 2019, Grant will be a little different than our previous two – we’re excited to be offering more of our community the chance to get a little kick start to their adventure plans.
- This year we will be offering THREE grants of £500 each, plus three pairs of Merrell’s fab shoes to kit you out on your journey
- We’re opening up the applications for adventures both in the UK and abroad, as we know that some of the best adventures can happen right from your doorstep
- And because we realise that adventures don’t have to be months long to be life changing, we’re also opening up to shorter trips.
WHAT’S ON OFFER?
The three lucky winners of the Adventure Queen Grant will receive the following goodies:
- £500 cash, to help kick start your adventure
- Three pairs of fab Merrell shoes, along with expert advice to get you and your feet ready for whatever your adventure throws at you
- Mentoring from our brilliant Adventure Queen Grant panel of judges, to help plan your adventure
WHAT ARE YOU AGREEING TO IF YOU APPLY?
All we ask in return for the grant and support is that you are willing to share your story with the Adventure Queens community. Because inspiration feeds inspiration. All of you in this community are inspiring – and we want to shed a light on that.
If you’re a shy type, no problemo. The minimum we’re asking is that you are cool with us interviewing you, and featuring pictures and updates of you and your adventure on our Adventure Queens and our Merrell’s forums. We also ask that you’d be happy to write a before, during, and after blog about your adventure. You do not have to be a social media whizz, if you are – great! But it’s not necessary.
WHO CAN APPLY?
If you’re a gal who lives in the UK, you’re in. So long as you’re over 18 and female, there are no limits beyond that, but it’s worth checking the bit below on the kind of adventures we are hoping to support. And by ‘living in the UK’ you don’t have to be a UK citizen, but this country should be your primary base.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
At Adventure Queens, we firmly believe that adventures in the outdoors, where you are pushing the boundaries of your comfort zone, can have an incredibly positive impact. We are looking for Adventure Queens who are teetering right on the edge of terrified. She has never done anything quite as big as what she has planned and isn’t entirely sure that she can pull it off, but she is darn well willing to give it a go.
If this sounds like you, go ahead and apply! There are a few things we’ll be looking for in the grant applications.
- Your adventure is, at least mostly, human powered. We won’t argue with the odd bus or plane journey though to get you where you want to be! Bikepacking, running, hiking, cycling, pogo’ing…. inspire us!
- It’s your first big adventure, and is going to be at least two weeks’ long
- The grant would have a significant impact on giving you the gentle nudge you need to get out there and take on your challenge. Help us to understand why this trip is going to be a big deal for you.
- Ideally your adventure should take place between March and September 2020. Those dates mean we get to share your story in time to inspire our next grant applicants, at the end of 2020
- Whilst we love the idea of adventuring helping to raise money for a good cause, we won’t be able to support something that is part of an organised fundraising or sponsored event
- If you’re idea involves a ‘significant other’ (male or female) in your life – well done for finding an adventure partner in crime! But the Adventure Queen Grant probably isn’t for you. We figure that having your other half in tow is a great support vehicle in itself and you probably are in less need of the Grant and the support that comes with it.
WHEN DO I APPLY?
Applications for the grant will be accepted until 31st December 2019. We’ll then be spending January curled up with many cups of tea and a lot of cake reading them all. We’ll come up with a final shortlist by the end of January, and will announce the winner on 14th February 2020. Exciting stuff!
HOW DO I APPLY?
Feeling inspired and ready to apply? AMAZING! Get yourself a pot of tea and a comfy chair, download our below application form and have a read through. This is where you get the chance to tell us about yourself, your adventure, and why you think you would be a worthy recipient of the Adventure Queen Grant.
Once you’ve completed the form, please send it as word document to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject AQ Grant Application – *Your Name*. We’ll be in touch in the New Year!
Good luck everyone!